Friday, January 20, 2017

Is Trump's Oath Valid ???

Here is the presidential oath specified in the US Constitution:

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Trump (and all presidents, I believe) have added the words "so help me G-d" at the end. Do these words seal the oath, or do they invalidate it?

Here's what Jesus said about this issue:

Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
Matthew 5:33-35 KJV

I believe this additional clause in our constitution is consistent with what Jesus told us to do:

Article VI
3: ... no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

So I think the words "so help me G-d" are a nice flourish, but they do not belong in our official oaths.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment