Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Unlearning War

Here is one of the things US Army Major Danny Sjursen learned in Afghanistan:

That all my poor boys really accomplished in Afghanistan was to secure one square kilometer of land for one short year. That despite the best Petraeus-speak and can-do military rhetoric, we enduringly protected exactly zero Afghans. That when the smoke cleared, the only things my troops lastingly left behind were three American lives and 11 American limbs. How I wish I could unlearn that all that effort, fear and violence was for nothing, and that seeking to impose a foreign-backed centralized regime in rural Afghanistan has almost no historical track record of success. Just ask the Russians - or the British.

You can read the rest of what he learned @
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/unlearning-war/

I strongly urge you to read what he has to say.

If we are to survive as a nation, I think it's imperative that we unlearn war ... and learn how to be at peace, something we have failed to do in all our 500+ year history on this continent.

No comments:

Post a Comment