Thursday, May 7, 2020

Undersea Hysteria

Here is another scare piece about Russian undersea weapons:

https://southfront.org/poseidon-oceanic-system/

Whenever I see such a screed, I ask the following question, "How in hell are they going to communicate with these unmanned undersea nuclear wessels?"

In a former life I participated in Project MACS, during which USS Nautilus (SSN 571) conducted experiments related to underwater detection and communication. What I saw then, added to my experience with other forms of UW detection and comms, leads me to believe that only "wired" UW communication is reliable (i.e., conducted via a physical wire between mother ship and drone/torpedo). Granted, much progress could have been made between then and now, but the basics of the oceans have not changed. UW communication poses a serious challenge, and I strongly doubt the Russians have overcome it. So why believe the nutty claims in scare pieces like the one above?

Would Russia even have a navy if we weren't screwing with them all the time? Will they continue to maintain one after the OBOR initiative attains dominance of the world island? And what good will OUR navy be then? We're not just continuing to "fight the last war", we're continuing to fight the last unnecessary war.

No comments:

Post a Comment