Monday, May 26, 2014

War Does Not Make Us Free

Here are some things to ponder on this Memorial Day 2014:

The conclusion is unavoidable that America’s wars have not protected our liberty but, instead, destroyed liberty. As Alexander Solzhenitsyn said, “A state of war only serves as an excuse for domestic tyranny.”

The truth is hard to bear, but the facts are clear. America’s wars have been fought in order to advance Washington’s power, the profits of bankers and armaments industries, and the fortunes of US companies. Marine General Smedley Butler said, “ I served in all commissioned ranks from a second Lieutenant to a Major General. And during that time, I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street, and for the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for capitalism.”

http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2014/05/25/war-inevitable-paul-craig-roberts/

I am no hero, but I've been to war. At the time I would have killed anyone they told me to, but I don't think now that anything I did then contributed in the least to maintaining our freedom. Similar to MG Butler, I was a low-class muscle man for bankgangsters, corporations, and their accomplices in the one percent.

Never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment