Tuesday, December 1, 2020

The "Smart Grid" Scam

Here in SW Ohio the power companies are promoting the construction of "smart" electrical grids. You can read about it here:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/new-dpl-testimony-smart-grid-plan-would-mean-an-investment-up-to-267m/RS4BZSFJFND6VANGUACJH3KF4E/

What exactly are the benefits to you and me? Here's what DP&L claims:

"The idea behind a 'self-healing' grid is to efficiently deal with power outages and the like, minimizing blackouts.

"With a customer’s approval, the plan would give competitive retail electric service providers access to customer usage data, so that providers can offer rates 'tailored' to a customer, Schroder testified."

In other words - (a) if I use what they consider to be too much electricity, they can cut me off to avoid a wider outage; and (b) they can use my data for marketing purposes.

And I have to PAY for this? Why don't the providers take it out of their share of the profits?

This seems to be part of "the great reset", which includes measures to force sustainability measures upon resource users. Is this a good idea? I suppose so, but has anyone asked you for YOUR input?

By the way, every outage I've experienced since moving to Ohio has been weather related and exacerbated by upstream equipment failures. How would a smart meter on my house change that?

No comments:

Post a Comment