Thursday, April 13, 2017

Who Pays Your Representatives And Senators ???

Guess what? Apparently you do not:

An Oklahoman congressman is under fire after he seemingly dismissed the notion that his constituents pay for him to go to Congress, calling the idea “bullcrap” in a viral video making the rounds on social media.

Markwayne Mullin, speaking at a town hall Tuesday in Jay, Oklahoma, was responding to a question from the audience when he responded to a claim that constituents pay for him to work in Congress.

“You say you pay for me to do this. Bullcrap. I pay for myself. I paid enough taxes before I got there and continue to through my company to pay my own salary. This is a service. No one here pays me to go,” said the 39-year-old Republican who represents Oklahoma’s second district, which covers much of the eastern part of the state.

When several audience members pushed back against this claim, Mullin went on, “I’m just saying this is a service for me, not a career, and I thank God this is not how I make my living.”

You can read the rest @
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article144264444.html

Technically speaking, he's right. Our tax dollars go into the general fund from which all members of Congress are paid.

But shouldn't the principle be that yes, they work for us?

And by the way, politicians should not swear at their constituents. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment