For a birds-eye view of the destruction of Syria, please watch this short video:
It should come as no surprise that people would flee such devastation. I think we would, too.
Here are some of the reasons people have given for why this happened:
1. Some say Assad attacked his own people.
2. Some say it's due to climate change.
3. Some say it's due to an Islamist insurrection.
4. Some say it's because of ISIS.
5. Some say it's part of our "responsibility to protect".
6. General Wesley Clark remarked it was part of the Pentagon's plan to "take out seven countries in five years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran."
I say it's because the US is now helping Israel claim their Biblical birthright - all the land between the Nile and the Euphrates rivers. And once all the armies which surround Israel have been neutralized, Israel will seize Jerusalem and rebuild The Temple.
And apparently it doesn't matter to them how many people die in the process, since this is what G-d wants them to do.