Monday, August 19, 2013

What's up with Lyme Disease ???

I lived for several years within walking distance of Lyme, Connecticut, the town for which Lyme Disease is named. Suggestively, the former Plum Island biological weapons laboratory is within floating distance of the town, too. I passed by it numerous times on a US warship sailing to and from the New London Naval Base:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_Island_Animal_Disease_Center

There is a mystery about Lyme Disease. The "cure" is based on the theory that all you have to do to effect a cure is to kill the organism thought to cause the disease. And it is thought that antibiotics are enough to kill that organism. Unfortunately, for many people that particular course of treatment does not work:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/science/2013/08/17/huge-question-about-lyme-why-some-patients-report-lingering-symptoms/DP82z7oYLdfq8wEQZ7ekaL/story.html

I'm very happy that (as far as I know) I never was bitten by an infected tick. I certainly hope that current and future research can discover what's behind the mystery of this disease and come up with a true, lasting cure.

I also hope that the US government will stop building weapons research facilities of the type once found on Plum Island. Good luck with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment