The bill that risks conveying this power to the president is the broad new Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), S.J.Res.59, that is pending in Congress. Senate Foreign Relations Committee chair Bob Corker (R-Tennessee) and Democratic committee member Tim Kaine (Virginia) introduced the bipartisan bill on April 16, and it has four additional co-sponsors.
You can read the rest @
If you recall, Senator Rand Paul attempted to get Congress to prohibit the President from killing American citizens, but Congress wasn't interested in doing so. In fact, Congress has done NOTHING to reign in presidential power.
Here's where we now stand:
- President can spy on you without a warrant;
- President can torture you, or render you to be tortured;
- President can kill you without due process;
- President can wage war on anyone he chooses; and
- President soon will be able to jail you indefinitely.
How is this NOT tyranny?
Why has Congress approved these outrages? And why aren't We the People doing something about them?
Considering the actual state of affairs, the confirmation hearings for Gina Haspel are a farce. None of her promises are worth spit.